Saturday, March 1, 2008

Chinese Pancake





This chinese pancake is one of my family's favourite. Decided to give it a try this Saturday since we're not going back to my mum's place. Also putting it off that long cos' the batter need to be proofed (how long? it wasn't stated in the recipe.) But now I know how long is the proofing process. :) Read on.




This recipe was taken from Aimei of Baking Cottage. The original recipe yield 2 large and 1 small pancake from my flat pan (I use a 26cm-if I'm not wrong). By the time, I have a chance to take picture of my pancakes, one big piece was gone from my plate! The rest would have been gone if I've not stopped my kids :) Needless to say, this pancake is very good: very soft!

As I didn't have any ground peanut for the filling, I use peanut butter as the spread. I try to spread some red bean paste, but my paste was not that easy to spread trhough. :(

It was also interesting to see the bubbling batter. My sons were fascinated by the bubbles popping sound from the batter. :))


Recipe as follows. For a more detailed one, visit Aimei's Baking Cottage .

Ingredients:
150 plain flour
1 tsp instant dry yeast
35g caster sugar

1/4 tsp salt

200ml tepid water (water that is lukewarm to touch)

2 eggs at room temperature, lightly beaten

60ml canola oil ( I used 50 ml)

1/2 tsp alkaline water (Substitute with: 1/2 tsp baking soda dissolved in 1/2 tsp water)

extra tepid water if necessary


Sesame peanut mix:
100g peanuts

25g white sesame seeds

50g caster sugar, or to taste


Method:
1. Mix together: flour, yeast, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl.

2. Add in 200ml tepid water and stir to mix well. Put in a warm place, cover loosely with cling wrap, and let it proof until bubbly and double in size. (I proof for 45 mins: double in size, but not bubbly; let it proof further 5-10 mins: this time it starts to bubble-see the video above).

3. Once the batter double in size, add lightly beaten eggs, oil and alkaline water. (I use baking soda + water).

4. Beat to mix in well. Let stand 5-10 mins before cooking. (The batter should be of pouring consistency at this stage.)

5. Heat a non-stick crepe pan (top about 20cm diameter) until hot. Pour a little canola oil, then wipe over the surface with a paper towel.

6. Pour about 125ml (or more to make it thicker).


7. Cover the pan with a lid and cook over medium to low heat for about 3-4 mins, or until the top is bubbly and just set.

8. Spoon sesame peanut mix onto half of the pancake, lift the other side and fold over.

9. Best serve hot or warm.


Overall, this is a very simple and straight forward recipe. Worth trying again :)












2 comments:

  1. Your peanut pancake looks so good! Glad your family like it. Oh and your bread looks like store bought as well...I still have not tried such shaping before... where can i learn all these shaping??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aimei,

    Thank you. The pancake was well-received by my family. No lah, my bread were just ok only. I didn't learn from anybody, just try and try. Your bakes were not bad either: your low-fat vanilla cupcake looks yummy and your swiss roll looks inviting :)

    ReplyDelete