Saturday, July 4, 2009
Steam Lemon Sponge Cake （清蒸柠檬蛋糕）
Today is my birthday. I made a simple cake in the late morning, a "Steam Lemon Sponge Cake". The texture did not turn out like a real sponge cake, rather like a "鸡蛋糕" texture to me? Or was it suppose to be like that? One bite, my hubby went, "hmmm... very nice"! My little one kept coming back for more... ! Rather encouraging, right?
I suppose a few more rounds of making I'll be able to get the right texture. Anyway, this is a very refreshing & yummy cake, with lemony smell, not overpowering. It's a cake you'll only get at home, i.e home make specially! :)
I want to thank a fellow "friend" who leaves somewhere in Singapore, who sent a special gift to me a few days ago. Though you had no idea, your gift arrived just in time! What a coincident! Thank you for your "special" present! I really appreciate it very much. :)
My "long-time" lens (which has been buried more than ten years) has been able to reunite the world once again "重见天日“ with a new body (a thought I would never ever have dreamed of)! :) And a jumbo cooker, which is very versatile to use. Now, my kitchen is less oily less smoky "少油少烟"! Ha! I don't have to mob the kitchen floor that often! :) Thank you, CS, for your presents and your thoughtfulness, 谢谢你的体贴! :)
Here is the recipe for the Steam Lemon Sponge Cake:
Lemon zest 1 tsp
Lemon juice 3 tbsp
Salad oil 3 tbsp
Caster Sugar 180g
Cake flour 190g
Double-acting baking powder 1/2 tsp + 1/4 tsp
1. Line a 20 cm x 20cm square pan (all around) with parchment paper.
2. Put lemon zest, lemon juice and salad oil in the same bowl. Stir to mix well.
3. Using an electric mixer, start with low speed and gradually increasing to high speed, beat eggs and sugar together till colour change to pale.
4. Beat at high speed till egg mixtures turn milky white. Beat till it reaches "ribbon stage", i.e when you lift out the beater, the mixture will stay on the surface for a while. Lastly, using low speed, beat for about one minute to stabilize the mixture.
5. Sift in cake flour and the DA baking powder.**
6. Pour in no. 2 (lemon & oil mixture).
7. Using a hand-whisk, fold up the mixture carefully until there are no lumps.
8. Use a spatula to scrap the sides of the bowl till well mix.
9. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and let it rest for ten minutes.
10. Heat up a wok with boiling water. Steam with "medium fire" for 20-25 minutes.
Important tip from the author:
** If your egg mixtures is beaten properly (till ribbon stage), your cake flour and baking powder will not sink immediately when you are sifting in. It will stay a while before sinking. (I think I fail a little here! It stayed a while and curve in later! Will have to take note next round.)
Recipe source: 孟老师的一百道小蛋糕